Friday, July 26, 2013

A Silver Lining

Well I just got off the phone with my surgeon Dr. Byrd, and we have some good news.  The PT scan only shows cancer in the seroma I have on my neck, which means we have a chance that it is still contained.  Of course this scan only picks up larger chunks of cancer (say a grain or rice or bigger) and doesn't show very small and even microscopic cancerous cells that could be moving through my body.  So while we know that I don't have any other large concentrations of cancer beyond the cells in my seroma, this is far from the all clear.

It does mean that further surgery is a good idea, and we aren't limited to immunotherapy.  As soon as possible I'll be under the able hands of Dr. Byrd and he'll perform a different type of surgery than my previous procedure.  This time he'll take out not only the new tumor but also a larger number of lymph nodes in my neck (maybe all on my right side?), which will all be submitted for a biopsy.  So after the surgery, I'll be waiting again for more results of more lab results...but we'll take it.

While you never like to hear your cancer has spread from the original tumor to a new tumor, this is the best possible news we could have heard in terms of results of the PT scan.  The surgery will be longer and more invasive than the last one and I'll have to stay overnight at the UW, but these are trivial inconveniences.

Thanks for all your support, prayers, words, etc.  I'll write again as I have things to share...

Ned

4 comments:

  1. Ned, I empathize on your condition. Do you remember way back in 3rd and 4th grade when I was in and out of school and lost my hair? I had a condition similar to cancer, and was back and forth between WW, and Seattle for chemo and radiation constantly on various parts of my body.

    U of W and Children's Hospital had wonderful doctors back then, and I imagine they are so much better now that we have such better technology and information out there. I am glad you are seeing someone in Seattle as the best doctors around work there, and I sincerely hope they get rid of this problem for you so you don't have to suffer ever again. I am praying for you and your family everyday, and am looking for your updates. Never give up hope. Best wishes Ned. -Margaret Henriques

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ned,

    Thinking of you and lots of prayers for you. I hope the doctors will have good news for you! The waiting game is always so hard. Hang in there!

    Molly and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noodle,

    This is some good news. Caity and I love you and your beautiful family so much! You have been in our regular prayers this summer. Love you brother.

    ~Douglas & the Patten gang

    ReplyDelete